Saturday, February 27, 2010

It blows my mind.

It blows my mind that a healthy woman with NO prior health history, on NO medications, who had a baby 5 months ago, could spontaneously develop a dangerous liver abscess from a severe infection. This world is a crazy place.

Luckily, she will be okay. She was my last patient at the JMP! Which is another thing that blows my mind. I can't quite realize that three years have gone by. I am no longer that fresh-faced young person just starting anatomy. Three years older, and dubiously wiser, and slightly sadder, and definitely happier, all at the same time. I've learned a lot, and not all of it has been from a textbook.

1. It's good to be important, but it's more important to be good.
2. A sense of humor will preserve you.
3. Never scoff at love in any form.
4. Remember what it feels like to be sick. Everyone in the hospital feels like that times ten.
5. Be grateful. As often as possible.

That's all the sentimental nonsense I got for now. It's a mellow sunshiny afternoon here after days of rain, and our big clinical exam is tomorrow! I'm a little tired so I may take a quick nap before studying my physical exam stuff. We each get six patients: 20 min. for physical exam, 8 min. written exam, 7 min. feedback from each examiner. They grade you on above, at, or below competency, and there's some magical algorithm to tell them whether you've passed or not. Sigh.

Life is crazy right now. There is too much to remember. I miss B something fierce. I try not to dwell on the fact that I don't really get to see family, hang out with friends, catch up with old friends, or have lots of fun right now. But I'm probably contagious anyway, given this vague pro-dromal feeling, so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise.

I'm listening to The Great River from the LOTR soundtrack, which is beautiful. Wouldn't it be fun to be Howard Shore and compose all the music that went with that movie? Although maybe it would be more fun to be in the orchestra or the choir. Hmm. Either way, it's pretty fabulous stuff.

2 comments:

  1. so weird, im listening to samwise the brave right now.
    i love you and am proud that you are dedicated to your work and the people you help every day. xoxoxo sash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi love congratulations on everything! So proud of you in return!!

    ReplyDelete