Today was the day our class found out what we would be doing next year. Clinical clerkships are the hospital rotations that medical students go through in their 3rd and 4th years, before they can take the 2nd boards, apply to residency programs, and hopefully graduate with an MD. At our school, there are five different "tracks" -- three of them are centered around one particular hospital for six months, one of them is very traditional (you rotate every couple of months from department to department at different hospitals), and one is the one I'm in! We stay at the same hospital all year round, we actually get our OWN cohort of 50-70 patients, and we learn all the subjects at once. We still have to take the same exams as everyone else, but the idea is to do a longitudinal experience that's more representative of actual practice.
Last Friday, we all entered a lottery so we could rank these five program in order of preference. And this afternoon, we each got an email telling us where we'd be!
For me, this means I can live at home, rent-free, for the next year. It means I know where I'll be all year. The sacrfices are: I won't have the 'traditional' clerkship experience, and I don't know WHEN I'll be on call -- the students in my track get called over to the hospital at pretty much any time of day or night. If one of your patients goes to the ER, you go to the ER. She has a baby, you go help catch the baby. Etc. But how exciting!! I'm so excited!!
I'm sublimely happy. I'm dancing on air. This is total motivation to study for the B-word that rhymes with swords.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

YAYYY! I'm so excited for you! If I'd stayed I would totally have wanted Model. Sweeeet.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I just figured out that I have tried to post comments on your blog repeatedly over the past few weeks, and it actually works from this web browser, just not the other. Oops. I've been reading, just not able to comment till now :)
ReplyDeleteHi Che! Hope things are going well for you in spite of (ahem) car trouble! And I'm super glad you figured out how to comment, too! Double yay. Yeah, Model was very popular but only CL ended up ranking it first, and got it.
ReplyDeleteOh, I thought what you are in is model. Yours is the one that sounds sweet... following patients! Imagine, patient-centered medicine :) I get the names of these programs mixed up, that's all. You're in the JMP of clinical years :)
ReplyDelete