Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Boy, when it rains

So a week or so went by quietly during exams, and then BLAM! Everything happened at once. On Friday, I got some test results back from the doctor and they were all normal, so that was good news. I did end up seeing Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and they were fabulous. I had a frustrating ride Thursday morning on a horse whose sweet spot I just couldn't find -- maybe I'll get another chance with him next week. Then on Saturday, I went Indian clothes & food shopping with my friends, and we attempted to make a South Indian sambar. I picked up an adorable deep orange kurti -- even though I almost never wear orange. One of my friends got a black embroidered shirt that looked really cute on her. It was funny -- we hadn't really found anything we liked, and then one of the places we tried had this basement full of clothes we could relate to at relatively reasonable prices. I was glad.

The sambar took way longer than I thought it would, but it actually came out pretty well -- it wasn't soupy enough, but the spices tasted pretty accurate (I have had a LOT of sambar)! So that was super exciting. My friends were so nice and did all the dishes so my kitchen looks like nothing ever happened!

On Sunday, I ran in a 5k -- my first time ever -- and actually ran the entire thing without stopping! That finisher's ribbon made me so proud. And it was a beautiful run in the park, with trees and fresh air and a little bit of rain. That evening, we had a medical school tradition where the junior students cook dinner for the older students. I wore my new shirt and we all had a blast.

Monday was back to school, so I was studying and working. And then today, I had a meeting downtown and I was rushing to get there on time, when I got completely sidetracked. There was a man riding a bicycle with his small daughter on the handlebars (no helmet). They were riding on a busy road. I glanced over and thought how dangerous it looked -- and then, when I turned again, they had fallen and the girl was crying. A car stopped when he saw them. I crossed the street and when I got closer, it was clear that the girl had fractured the foot. There was a bloody gash in it right down to the bone, also. I told them that there was a pediatric clinic nearby, thinking that maybe the car man wouldn't drive them to the hospital and we should wait for an ambulance in a safe place. We got to the clinic, where they said, "Is she a patient here?" And I was like, "Um, I highly doubt it." Meanwhile, the father, who didn't speak English, was a mess, crying and upsetting the little girl, who was obviously yelling in pain and then getting more upset when she saw Dad crying. I asked her if I could hold her (she was like 5 or 6) and then we sat down and read Snow White together (apparently magic princesses stop people from remembering that their feet hurt like hell) while everyone figured out what to do and the man called her mom. So the clinic people wrapped the foot in gauze and then the car man offered to take them to the ER. There was no room for me in there, so I let them go off and offered up a prayer.

And then I went to my meeting, came home late, and am off to do my homework.

Sigh.

1 comment: