Dear Family and Friends,
Things usually come out better when they're in the form of a letter, so that's what I'm doing. Whew. You are not even going to believe what a nutty week this was. There was nothing really wrong, per se, but there were several things that were annoying. They resulted in me being pretty badly sleep deprived all week, and falling a little behind on my work schedule, which is ridiculous since I purposely kept it light this semester.
So to start with, we're coming into final exams. That means that from May 11-13, we will be doing non-stop exams, and then I still have a few 'final judgement' meetings with faculty the following week. After exams end, I have to really kick into high gear on my thesis, which needs to be largely done by the end of summer so I'll have time to study for the boards. I need to back up my data!! It's the most amateur mistake ever, so if I don't do it and then I lose my data, I will want to shoot myself. Or my thesis. Probably more likely my thesis. I also have two outstanding clincial skills write-ups that I really, really wish would just write themselves. I have not totally convinced myself that this doesn't happen to a few lucky medical students each year, and that maybe I'll get lucky. Fat chance.
Second, I am doing a massive spring cleaning, prompted by flea bites. I have an INDOOR CAT! How did I get bitten by fleas?? I don't get it. Did I bring them home from the park? Do my neighbors have them? I have no clue. But because I'm paranoid, and because I kept getting bitten, I decided to clean my entire apartment. This is how I did it:
1. I called Fleabusters, who sprinkle a salt-based powder into baseboards and corners which kill both adult fleas and larvae (just not the cocoon phase).
2. I put my poor little kitty on Program (generic name = Lufenuron), which essentially turns her into a giant birth control pill for fleas. If they bite her, they can't reproduce properly. It's a once-a-month pill that smells like yeasty chicken, and when I crushed it into her food, she actually ate it. This is the cat that can smell medicine a mile away and will studiously avoid any medicine-tainted food! Wow. Anyway.
3. Then I bought diatomaceous earth (DE) and sprinkled it under the new mattress protector I bought, and into any areas that the Fleabusters guy didn't cover.
4. I bought a new vacuum cleaner that has bags, and an electric steam mop. Before the Fleabusters guy came over, I vacuumed the whole place, threw away the bag, and then steam-mopped the floors.
5. I am now (with my long-suffering mom's help) laundering ALL the soft goods in my apartment -- pillows, rugs, animals, cushions, the works. And any clothes that were hanging out on or around the floor.
On Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, I got four hours of sleep because I was itchy and getting bitten. I think the one highlight of last week was an Ethiopian meal with my friend C (thanks babe). Since I took all of these steps, I haven't (yet, cross fingers) gotten another bite, and can sleep! At last! Which is why I'm going to bed soon.
On top of that, I have my period. Joy. Luckily, I also have Midol. Too bad I'm almost out of toilet paper (don't you just love housekeeping?!). And my DD (Dear Dad) flew into town all the way from Japan, so I kind of had to spend some time with him, work notwithstanding. Actually, I went over for dinner yesterday -- which was super fun! And then both the parents came and spent the whole of Sunday morning with me. We discovered this amazing tea garden restaurant.
On Saturday morning, I was practicing physical exam skills for a test I have on Tuesday with my pal E, and of course she saw my flea bites. Sigh...She was totally understanding, but I still wish the flea bites hadn't existed. But due to all these goings-on, I did the absolutely essential, crucial work for tomorrow and then called it quits. Because I need to catch up on my rest.
Therefore, good night!! And thank you for your love (ethiopian food), solidarity flea stories, and support during this slightly embarrassing and itchy time.
With hugs,
AAC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment