So I've been blogging about good days to guard myself against days like this one. It's now officially summer (last write up turned in, last meeting gone to! Yay), and B came up from SoCal to spend it with me. He's working, and I'm doing my research at home. It's like we're actually adults -- we've been getting up at 6 (okay, he gets up at 6; I've been shooting for 7), and going to bed around 10. Slightly nutty for two people who are usually on a 1 am to 9 am sleep schedule, but there you are.
Yesterday, I went riding. And, true to form for May in the Bay Area, it's been cold and foggy and drizzly and COLD. The barn was no exception, and all the horses were cranky. AJ, the horse I usually ride and love, tried with greater than usual vigor to bite me. He didn't manage, although he did nip a tiny bruise into my arm. He received a slap on the neck and a NO! for his troubles. But then we actually had a really good ride. One of our sweetest horses was acting up and bucking and just basically fooling around (our instructor checked to make sure he wasn't actually in pain because it's so weird for him to play around like that), but he settled down. However, I think he inspired AJ, who didn't do anything but was testing me the whole time (as in, now is she paying attention? How about now? Does she still want to do real work now? Look, why don't we just stand in the middle of the arena? No? But I wanna...). And on and on.
But we did get through the lesson, and we even got a halt to canter transition! It was slightly rough on my part, and AJ did a teensy buck as he departed in protest, but it was there. Next time, I was too subtle and he didn't hear me until I asked again. He's a LOVELY horse (pony?), but I need to read up on how to get him to let go of his nippy behavior. It's really off-putting.
Today, though, I was exhausted. Yesterday, tired from not riding in three weeks (another reason AJ was probably testing me), but today exhausted. With a threatening sore throat. And cold in spite of two warm blankets. B got up and was almost ready to go before I could drag myself out of bed (wow, I almost just typed 'the saddle'). Luckily, a hot cup of tea, the heater, a bowl of cereal, and some grapefruit juice have helped immensely.
Apparently some of my important passport-related documents have arrived, so I have to go pick them up. I might do that. And then I'm going to relax and work all day. Tonight, we're going to a dinner and music thing that should be pretty awesome. But urgh. If my muscles don't loosen up with some stretching, I'll take an Advil. That'll teach me to take time off riding.
Luckily, camp starts next week!! A whole week of horses, horses, horses. Now, I just have to do enough work that I can do camp with a clear conscience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment