Friday, February 4, 2011

Surgery

I'm currently studying for the surgery shelf, which is obviously hard. For some reason, I've been feeling less and less like writing about med school. I don't really want to air my stories about patients to the world. I can see the purpose of keeping a journal about these things, but the digestion required to make it fit for public consumption takes much more time and energy than I currently have to spend on this blog. I think I will record these beautiful and meaningful events and try to write about them when I can, but it's more important for the purposes of being a good future physician to remember them and the lessons I learned from them.

But I'm alive, and trying to balance things, and still enjoying myself in spite of it all. On bad days, it really is the patients who keep me going. The "worst" (ie most stressed, angry, saddening, or whatever) patient out there is soothing compared to dealing with the school part of it. I'm really glad I am taking a research sabbatical. It will give me time to "gather my thoughts and regain my strength." Yes, 3rd year of med school and Clueless is still very relevant. Ah, Amy Heckerling. You have no idea how much you influenced my generation.

I also need to figure out what exactly within medicine I want to do, which a prominent urologist who gave us a lecture yesterday called "absolutely the most important decision you will ever make in your careers. And soon they won't be allowing you to take a paid 2nd residency, so it may be a one-way street." This does seem like a lot of pressure. Which is why I have taken up yoga again. But that is another post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment