Saturday, February 19, 2011

Surgery Shelf exam fiasco

So the surgery shelf was canceled on the day for which it was scheduled, because the surgery administrator forgot to order the exams. For real. Never has my hallowed, esteemed etc. medical school seen the like in ten years of giving these standardized national surgery shelf exams. We were, to put it gently, royally pissed off. And so the shelf was postponed, and I just took it this morning.

I would sigh a sigh of relief except -- that shelf was a monster. First of all, there was not enough time. The questions were long. And second, when people said it was a medicine shelf, they weren't kidding. Barely anything I studied was on there, and I reviewed all the exam review books. There were random questions on there that had nothing to do with any of the hundreds of topics I read about. I was hoping to do well, and now I'm even doubting if I passed it.

You know, I really wish I hadn't cried wolf all those years ago when I would say to friends or family, "I think I failed!" because back then, I knew I hadn't. These days, sometimes, it's REALLY hard to tell. I used to be a fantastic student. How do I get my groove back??!!

MY GROOVZ. I WANTZ IT! GIVE IT TO ME NOWZ!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hehe - ditto on the last line. I've settled into a "I'm never gonna get my groove back, so let's just laugh about it" sort of state of being. Not sure if that's healthy or not.

    And wait, was the shelf that bad? Uh oh. I take it this Friday, and I thought I was in good shape... looks like I need to get back to studying. Like, now. :(

    Also, congrats on the year off decision! I'm thinking about a lot of your options too -- geriatrics and adult neuro, specifically.

    Talk to you soon! Hang in there. Call me if your MS3 misery needs company. Love,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, E!! And good luck on the surgery shelf! I got my score back and I actually beat the mean, so I guess I wasn't the only one thinking it was a monster. I'm sure you did great!

    ReplyDelete