Many of us have one. The inner princess, or prince, in some cases, who always wants his or her way, consequences be damned. My inner princess has gotten so bad lately that she deserves her own blog post. She "doesn't wanna" do any work. She only wants to eat junk food. She wants to stay up late and sleep in. She wants to watch movies and read books all day long. Laundry? Ha. Dishes? Not a chance.
My inner princess was out of control. But her reign is over! Now, the Queen decides what to do and the Princess gets a treat for complying. So, write a paper -- watch a TV episode. Do a patient write-up, get a piece of chocolate. No whining.
If you were born with a natural talent for time management, I admire you. Although I can be very organized and too much of a perfectionist, unfortunately I also tend to procrastinate beyond any reasonable point in time, and I can be very absent-minded. A sad (but often hilarious) combination. Luckily, I stumbled upon flylady.com -- very pink, but also very practical. I don't follow the whole program, but what a great website for those of us who didn't grow up keeping house or doing regular chores and have no clue where to start! Literally, this website taught me how to keep my house clean. And I have to say, the house doesn't look too bad right now. Yay! One of my favorite acronyms: CHAOS = Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome. Wow, did that ring true. Another useful philosophy: You can do anything for 15 minutes. I read that as "You can MAKE YOURSELF do anything for 15 minutes!"
The same principles, it turns out, apply to my work. If you plug away a little at a time, it gets done and you have time for fun. I haven't cured my procrastination, but at least I haven't flunked out of med school yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment