But I'm going to attempt it one more time, simply because there have been people who actually read what I wrote during past attempts. There are two 'triggers' for my giving it another shot -- one positive, and one disturbing. Anyhow, there's a lot going on in life that I think might be good to get out there where family and friends can find it. So here goes nothing!
I want to start with some good news. I just got a new bike! It's a 2008 Trek 7.3X, and it's bright blue! With that and my silver and purple helmet, I feel pretty badass, and much better about some of the other stuff going on at the moment (which I'll get to later). This one looks very similar in color and style, but it's a 7.1 FX. For some reason, I couldn't find an exact match for my bike. I didn't want one that was too girly (B helped me with bike shopping, and it was so cool that they let him test ride one with me! They didn't even give him a crappy one, they let him ride a $900 cyclocross bike):

I haven't taken it out that much yet, only twice for real, but what I want to do is get an odometer and keep track. My poor parents keep freaking out that I will be vehicle fodder. I will try hard not to be. Yay! New bike for the first time since junior high!!
So part of the other reason for restarting this blog is some not-so-fantastic stuff that is going on. First of all, the stock market is in a downward spiral. First Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11, then B of A bought Merrill Lynch, and now AIG is apparently being bailed out by the government. What this means for my poor Dad, who works in corporate risk management abroad, is that he has slept only 6 hours in the last 48 trying to do damage control. Secondly, it means that we are not doing too well financially as a family, which in turn means that I can't ride horses regularly, as I was hoping to do this semester.
Perhaps that is meant to be, since I can't find a class at the barn that matches my schedule anyway. But it sucks to get back into something after not having done it all through college, only to realize that you're going to have to pretty much give it up again anyway. You can't really ride horses sporadically -- you don't get better, so it can actually hurt your self-esteem, and also it's not that safe to just ride once in a while, because being used to it really does make you far safer. Sigh. I'm so glad I have a bike because it means built-in exercise. And I am NOT in biking shape -- half an hour wears me out right now!
The other thing that's saddening is that one of my friends at school is having a really bad time right now. She moved a long, long way to come to med school, and she also has some underlying health problems that she is dealing with. She recently told us that she might take part of the semester off, and I really hope she doesn't. If she has to work less so she can give herself time to heal, that's okay with me. I would much rather see her everyday than lose her because she felt a sense of guilt or obligation to us as her colleagues (we do a lot of case-based, peer-group work). I hope she knows us better than to feel defeated or guilty or like she's to blame. I just want her to know that we all support her and she doesn't have to be uber-productive for that to be true :( I don't really know what to do, and I think maybe the answer is there's not much I can do.
Anyway, it's another classmate's birthday today, so I'm off to go bake him a cake with a few of the girls from my program. I haven't gotten much work done in the past four hours, but it's been good to get this off my chest.
It's so beautiful outside today -- cool but sunny. Maybe someone will go with me for a walk down by the water.

No comments:
Post a Comment