Monday, September 22, 2008

LA Weekend Craziness...

This weekend, I spent many hours with Will and Andi in Will's white Honda Civic, cruising the I-5. As we drove past wind turbines in the Altamount Pass, tumbleweeds and fruit farms in the Central Valley, and other, slower cars on the Grapevine, this was our road trip song.

Will thought they were singing 'Fuzzy wuzzy wuzzy marijuana,' which is what we sing in polite company...Oh, and we also stopped at In-N-Out for lunch, where we had a conversation about what we would do if we ever got pregnant or got someone else pregnant.

Anyway, I'm so glad I got out of town and was able to see Billy! This weekend we exchanged schedules to hopefully make speaking to one another easier while he does law school and I do med school. He also gave me a quick lesson on how to throw a disc because I have somehow been suckered into playing on our med school IM Ultimate Frisbee team. I have never held a frisbee in my life, but Billy was the captain of our undergrad team and they were very good.

One super embarrassing thing that happened was -- I fainted! This was the third time in my life that I've fainted. One was in sixth grade in the cafeteria line with my two best friends on either side of me; one was in a dance class during college, again with one of my best friends with me who then took me to the hospital; and then on Saturday evening. I was at the bathroom sink, looking in the medicine cabinet for a comb, when I hit my elbow at the funny bone incredibly hard on the metal towel rack that was at, well, elbow level. The pain shot up my arm and my head felt all tingly, and then the world started to go fuzzy. I thought that couldn't be good, so I called out to Billy for help. I had an odd dream about fainting in a bathroom, but when I woke up, instead of being in bed, which is where you'd expect to be after having a dream, I was on the bathroom floor with Billy holding my head and asking if we should go to the hospital. Scary and very embarrassing, considering that every doctor I've ever seen has said that it's probably normal and I just have a vagal reflex that gets easily stimulated. I have never fainted at the usual things -- heat, blood, etc. Just randomly when I'm hungry or, apparently, in immense pain.

To recover, we went out to dinner at Baja Fresh and I had some delicious fajitas (courtesy of Billy). Sadly, I couldn't finish them all, but a homeless man on the walk home was happy to help me out with that. Westwood, where we went for dinner, is very pretty on a late summery evening before the undergrads arrive. Everything felt well-lit and peaceful, with trees and wide roads everywhere.

The next morning, we feasted on baguette and cheese and apples and bananas before Will and Andi came to pick me up. They had to drive around for a while before we found each other, which I was unhappy about. However, I did get a chance to see Billy's law school classrooms and library and building, all of which were just beautiful. Our building at school isn't half as nice!

On the drive home, we played the Alphabet game, where you name a word for each letter. First we did it with Diagnoses, then we did it with Anatomy. Then we decided we were being too nerdy, so we did it with Slang Terms (That You Wouldn't Use In Front of Your Grandma). Finally we did it with the Bible, but that one we did quite poorly, since only one of us had ever had a Bible-based Christian upbringing (and it wasn't me). An hour after we got home, our IM Ultimate Team had (and lost) its very first game. We had four women in an open league, and half of us had never played before. Needless to say, the score was 2-11. But at least we have a good team chant, which I must take full responsibility for: Bind, bind, bind, bind...Zinc Fingers!

I'm glad to be home, though, because work is going to hit very hard very soon. For example, I should be working now instead of procrastinating by writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment