Things are a little less completely insane now. I have taken the exam, although because it's a national shelf I'm not sure if I passed it yet -- that will take a few weeks. The cat's other end seems to be functional, and she didn't even need an enema. Just a phone consult. We had a clinical skills video evaluation, which I think went well. Unfortunately, of course when things go well they're pass/fail. And then I was on cardiology for four days. My patient was a lady who came in to rule out a heart attack, which she didn't have. Then it was thought maybe she had heart failure (yup) but not due to a common cause (hmmm). So now she has been discharged and is going to see her doctor for many unusual tests which will hopefully solve the riddle of how she is walking around asymptomatic when her heart can only pump 30% of its final volume to her body. Good for her, at 80!
One of my OB patients, whom I had been working with pretty closely, was finally delivered of her girlchild. By me!! I did the entire delivery all by myself, which was the first time ever that I have run a delivery. It was amazing. And because it was the first night of my cardiology call, which was right after the OB shelf, I basically haven't slept well in over a week.
Today we were teaching the MS1s about heart failure. It turns out you do learn something in two years, after all. But they were better at heart medications, having just studied them. Oops. I guess I need to review all of the latest options myself, since on the wards I'm not the one deciding which meds are the best. I also learned today that soon they will come out with a better clot preventer than warfarin (Coumadin), and that whoever wins that particular pharmaceutical race is going to be very rich.
I got my first psychiatry patient today. He's awesome and has depression. Hopefully we can get the poor guy being more awesome and less depressed and back to his old self again. I have had other patients in psychiatry clinic, but this is the first one whose care I'm supposed to be in charge of. Fantastic. I feel behind in psych and need to study it more.
I got all fours (good) on a recent surgery evaluation. I think they evaluated the wrong person. I'm not going to tell them when I have surgery tomorrow.
Finally, I am excited because I think I might get enough sleep tonight. I'm really, really excited. I'm looking forward to it. I've been dreaming about my nice soft cottony plump firm pillow all week long....ahhhh....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment